- Marigolds – These beautiful flowers can add a splash of color to your landscaping and mosquitoes hate them! This is because marigolds contain a natural compound used in many commercial bug sprays. They’re also great in and around gardens to repel tomato worms and squash bugs.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass contains citronella (the same compound found in citronella torches and candles). It often works better at repelling mosquitoes than commercial citronella products because this decorative grass has a stronger aroma.
- Rosemary – Rosemary isn’t just used for cooking but also for keeping away flies and mosquitoes! It does well when planted in pots, so it’s a great plant to sit next to doorways or backyard seating areas.
- Mint – Mint is a natural mosquito and rodent repellent. However, be careful not to plant this directly in your yard or garden because it can easily spread like a weed. Instead, keep it potted in a container.
- Citronella – As its name implies, this perennial contains the citronella compound and is great for warding off mosquitos. It also gives the area a lovely citrus smell.
We all know that mosquitoes can be quite a problem here in Georgia. But thankfully, there are lots of plants and flowers that are natural bug repellents! Here are 5 plants that keep bugs away: